Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Germantown Cemetery

Founded by Germantown Methodist Episcopal Church on land bought in 1840 from George P. and Nicey B. Shepherd, early subdividers of the village, this cemetery served the whole community for 125 years. A stone fragment dated 1843 marks the earliest known burial spot. Three Methodist Church buildings have stood on this site; one was destroyed during the Civil War, and one was struck by lightning and burned in 1921.