Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Lindenwood Christian Church

This congregation began meeting in the home of Simon Bradford at Front and Talbot in 1837. Encouraged by visits from Alexander Campbell, one of the founders of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the first Christian Church in Memphis was organized in 1843. Services were held in a school building at Mulberry and Linden Street, which was purchased in 1851. A two-story brick building was built on the property in 1859, which was occupied by Union forces during the Civil War. Called Linden Avenue Christian Church, it remained at that location for 110 years. In 1948 the church purchased property at Union and East Parkway and relocated to this site in 1953. A Recreational Building with gymnasium was completed in 1962, and a new sanctuary dedicated in 1966. (continued on other side) Ministers serving the Linden Avenue/Lindenwood Christian Church. B.F. Hall 1847-1852 Robert E. Chew 1853-55 W.J. Barbee 1855-1862 R.A. Cook 1863-1865 T.W. Caskey 1865-1868 Curtis J. Smith 1868-1869 David Walk 1869-1878 J.M. Tribble 1879-1882 George W. Sweeney 1883-1885 John B. Briney 1886-1888 J.W. Ingram 1888-1892 John A. Brooks 1892-1895 W.E. Ellis 1895-1897 R.D. Rice 1897-1899 W.H. Sheffer 1900-1916 Walter M. White 1916-1937 H. Thomas Wood 1937-1968 James L. Christennsen 1968-1974 C. Roy Stauffer 1974